Saturday, July 12, 2008

First Date

On a typical first date one would see a couple going to a dinner and movie or playing a game of mini golf, but David and I were never meant to be typical! Our first date as some may call it was to meet up at a scheduled time to watch a show we both loved. Seeing as how we were both in separate countries the only way to do this was through the fabulous technological wonder called instant messaging.

Our first “real” or in person date would be a not so typical one as well. When we decided to see each other I hopped on a plane and went down to Belize. Let me tell you, this was a date to top all dates. How many can say they went to paradise for a first date. On the flight down I was quite nervous about what he would think of me and also what I would think of him. I had a few standards that I could not let pass. I am 6 foot and have never and would never settle for a man that was not greater than or equal to 6 feet. Now David had told me previously that he was in fact able to pass that test. As I walked out of the terminal I finally got to see him, holding for me, a beautifully hand crafted sign out of cardboard with the words, “LaFawnDuh” on it. After being mesmerized by his beautiful eyes and charming smile, I began to question his honesty in the height department. There David and I met and as I stood next to him I felt that the whole thing may have to come to a screeching halt right there, which was too bad because we had connected on so many other levels. But then I decided to see it through. What else could I do? I was in Paradise!

His “driver” Jorge was standing next to him. How often can someone say they had a personal driver on their first date, other than maybe some really rich people? We did all this on a starving student and a chocolate shop manager’s salary, which makes it all that much less typical.

On our way back into town we stopped for lunch at a local thatched roof cabin like thing called Amigos. There I got a real native meal, a buffalo chicken sandwich. The men across from us were eating spicy chicken wings, another very native thing. And if you believe that it was native food I will tell you another one. During the meal and in the car ride Jorge and I talked together in Spanish about Don David. That is what Jorge and as I would found out all the natives called him. Jorge had very good things to say about him and because of that my feelings for David grew and yet his height didn’t seem too.

Jorge then pulled into the Belize Zoo. From the road you never would have known there was a zoo back there, just a lot of trees. Had I not of had some very long conversations in the months previous with David I think I would have been worried right about then as to why we were headed into some dark secluded woods. So he dropped us off and took off to David’s home with my bags. I was slightly worried to not have all my things at my disposal, but what could I do.

There David got us a tour where we got to get down and personal with the Jaguars that the Zoo saved from being killed by the local farmers, for raiding local livestock. It was an amazing experience. We got to feed the Jaguars and watch them play. I feared for my life a few times as the Jaguar jumped at me when I got a little to close, but what good date doesn’t have a little fearing for your life in it?

From there we walked around the zoo which didn’t really have fences keeping the animals in their areas. My favorite barrier, as one may call it, was the little ditches and 2 pieces of wood that they had in between us and the Alligators. Because of these fantastic structures I was put on guard for any creatures that may be lurking around any corner. Needless to say I then freaked myself out with a large structure that I was sure was the real thing. But to my embarrassment and David’s delight it was a not so life like wooden carving of an alligator.

We then walked around to a look out area where we sat together and held hands for the first time. Unfortunately for us the mosquitoes wanted to get in on the action so we had to vacate the premises.

From the zoo we got onto a crowded school bus, the public transportation there, and cuddled together for our ride into town. As our first date came to an end I began to worry less about the height and new that things would turn out alright. As it turned out not but a few days later, I confessed my fears of height or lack there of to David’s roommates we discovered that my fears could be put to rest; one of them knew just how to fix David’s height problem (It is amazing what happens when you stand up straight). I had found a man that truly did match up to my requirements. How lucky I am to have found David and as we prepare now for marriage in a not so typical place, I look forward to the many adventures that we will have that all started from a not so typical first date.